Woman Dies Within A Month From Flesh Eating Bacteria After Eating Raw Oysters
12How to avoid Vibriosis
You can’t kill the bacteria by consuming raw oysters with hot sauce or alcohol. When dining out always avoid uncooked or raw oysters and clams. Always eat thoroughly cooked seafood especially shellfish because cooking destroys the bacteria. Severe infection is rare and usually attacks people with weakened immunity and those whose wounds become infected. Avoid wading in brackish water. Saltwater or sea water when you have a sore or open wound.
Wash hands after handling raw seafood and always cover any wound or simply avoid handling seafood when you have an open wound.
13Those who are at greater risk of vibriosis infection
These with the following diseases are at greater risk of vibriosis
• Liver infection
• HIV infection
• Inflammatory bowel disease
• Gastric disease
• Hemochromatosis/hemosiderosis (abnormal iron metabolism)
• Cancer (including lymphoma, leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease)
• Weakened or compromised immunity
• Steroid dependency used in conditions like a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, etc.
14Tips for Cooking Oysters and Clams
When cooking oysters and clams in the shell, boil them first for 3 to 5 minutes after shells open. Small pots can be used for steaming oysters. Avoid cooking too many oysters in one pot as the middle area may be half cooked. DISCARD ANY OYSTER THAT DOES NOT OPEN WHEN COOKING.
Shucked Oysters and Clams
• Boil for up to 3 m minutes till edges curl
• Fry ion oil for 4 minutes at 375° F.
• Broil 3 inches from heat for 3 minutes
• Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F.
15Be safe than sorry
Jean LeBanc was a woman who ate raw oysters because she was unaware f the problem. Now you know about it and rather than make the same mistakes that LeBlanc did, it isn’t really worth trying to eat raw oysters regardless of how tasty r exotic that sounds. Even though the fatal stages of vibriosis are considered rare, nothing is worth risking your life over. If you like oysters and shellfish, then simply cook and eat them.