This Mother Is Creating Awareness among Parents about Her Toddler’s Near Fatal Infection After A Tick Bite
Tick bites can be really nasty especially when it involves children. The problem with tick bites is that it could ranger form a small problem to a really bad infection. Ticks cause what is known as Lyme disease and it is slowly increasing in the USA. The disease has more or less doubled from 1991 with 7.95 cases per 10,000 reported in 2014. Very recently one mother narrated how her child was bitten by a tick and got infected by RMSF or Rocky Mountains Spotted Fever.
1The little boy was playing in the backyard and was bitten by a tick
Jackson Oblisk just 2 years old was playing in his backyard when he was bitten by a tick and soon developed a fever. His mother then took him to a hospital where he deteriorated further and started developing a rash on his entire body. His condition worsened to him experiencing further symptoms of swelling, lack of appetite and headaches. It was then that the doctors treating him diagnosed him with a case of RMSF which is also considered a life threatening bacterial infection that is got from a tick bite.
2RMSF has the potential to be fatal
RMSF has the potential to be fatal and lead to organ failure if not treated in time with antibiotics. Jackson’s mother Kayla never gave it a single thought when her husband removed a tick that they noticed on Jackson who had been playing in the backyard. But after a few days, they got extremely worried.
3He soon developed high fever after four days
Jackson soon developed high fever just four days after the tick bite. The parents staying in Louisville, Kentucky were soon very worried at the boy’s worsening condition as they had no idea why or what was the problem. Usually tick bites are much of a worry. When they rushed him to hospital, he became worse. His body started swelling and he was covered in rash.
Says Kayla “By the time we got to hospital that Monday, he was in a ton of pain, crying, and trying to rub his head because it hurt, they gave him IV antibiotics and he wailed because it hurt so badly to be touched.”