Firefighters warn against the Horrifying Results of sleeping with a Charging Smartphone placed under pillow

Smartphones today are one of the worst obsessions among the young generation of teens and even younger kids. The trend is deteriorating to the point of kids sleeping with phones beneath their pillows even while the device is charging. Rather than charge the phone during the time when a person is awake, the norm now is to charge a phone at night to avoid missing an alert, a notification or an sms. The biggest danger in such a habit is the lack of knowledge how this could turn fatal.

Advertisement

Sleeping with a charging Smartphone is the most dangerous thing one can do especially if it is charging. A horrible incident occurred in Newton, New Hampshire where the New Hampshire Fire department has also issued an advisory warning on their Facebook page against falling asleep while charging your cellphone in bed. The warning received 31,000 shares and has gone viral.

Advertisement

1 Easy access to technology is, unfortunately, cultivating bad habits

Kids today are bombarded with technology making access to innumerous apps, games and social media interaction a piece of cake through tabs and cellphones. Rather than watch a bit of telly at night or reading, kids are sitting propped in bed glued to a cell phone even while putting it on charge. What ultimately happens is that the kid falls asleep with the cellphone still charging on a soft bed. Even worse is when adults too charge their phones while it is tucked beneath a pillow.

Using cellphone in the bed

Image Source: www.media.npr.org

Advertisement

2 What the Newton FD research found out

The Newton FD reported that according to research almost 53% of children and teens charge phones and tablets while the device is under a pillow. This is an extremely dangerous practice as the heat generated cannot dissipate and this makes the charger and the phone hotter. The potential results can be devastating as this could lead to a fire.

Sleeping with a charging Smartphone places the entire family in danger. This is why both adults and teens should safely check where they place their cellphones whilst on charge. Newton FD even displayed horrifying images of what could happen when a phone charges on a soft surface.

Newton NH Fire Department

Image Source: www.littlethings.com

3 A charging cellphone possesses the potential to set fire to an entire home

A Smartphone is like a mini computer which is what makes it generate a lot of heat especially when charging. A fan can do much to reduce the heat generated from a charging smartphone but when it is placed under a pillow, there is no access to any cooling agent. This traps heat and can cause flammable conditions.

Advertisement

Burned cellphone charger

Image Source: www.awarenessact.com

4 This is what could happen

In 2016, the Wales fire department posted images on social media how a girl’s bedroom was reduced to ashes after a charging cellphone caught fire which engulfed the bed and then spread. It was most fortunate that there were no fatalities. But this is a prime example of what could happen and it shows also how fast a charging cellphone placed beneath a pillow can catch fire and set everything ablaze.

Advertisement

Cellphone burned bedroom

Image Source: www.twimg.com

5 Always read the advisory and warning leaflets when purchasing a new phone

Smartphone companies always issue advisories and warnings in leaflets accompanying new cellphones but who really looks at them? It repeatedly mentions how sleeping with a charging cellphone is dangerous and that the device should be charged in a safe spot at home. The same warnings apply to laptops and tablets. Never charge electronic devices on soft surfaces especially inflammable ones. AND!!! Never SLEEP WITH A CHARGING SMARTPHONE BENEATH YOUR PILLOW.

Advertisement

Charging your smartphone

Image Source: www.rd.com

Advertisement

You may also like...