Energy saving light bulbs can cause serious diseases like Migraines and even Cancer
Electric bills can shoot up what with various gadgets at home. While one cannot do away with mandatory appliances and gadgets, one can surely replace the light bulbs with energy saving bulbs so that one can save a considerable amount on one’s electric bulbs. These bulbs were considered very helpful and environment friendly until news of the opposite being true surfaced.
1 Toxic Bulbs
The bulbs which help you save money on electricity bills and yet are safe have now come in the dock for being unsafe and toxic. In cases when the bulb breaks, these bulbs release a poisonous gas. One should be careful while disposing then ensuring that they do not break while being thrown into the garbage bin. It can be worse if the bulb breaks indoors.
2 The Dangers of a Broken Bulb
It can get really terrifying if a bulb breaks indoors as it releases 20 times more mercury in the air which may lead to many problems such as:
- Cluster headaches
- Lack of concentration
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Vestibular disorders
- Eye pain
Yes, you read it right. These bulbs can also cause cancer. Experts know this fact and that is the reason why they prefer to use old fashioned bulbs from the early times, the incandescent bulbs.
3 Here are Some Specific Reasons Why You Should Not Use Them
The lure of saving energy attracts us to these bulbs. Did you know that these bulbs contain mercury which is neurotoxin and that children and pregnant women must come near it? These bulbs can damage the brain, the liver, kidneys and the nervous system. Mercury is also known to be bad for the heart, reproductive system and the immune system.
It was proved in a study conducted at the Alab laboratory in Berlin, Germany that the light bulbs that are used in many homes contain poisonous carcinogens. Continuous use of these bulbs can cause cancer.
Apart from mercury, these bulbs also contain phenol, which is an acidic crystalline solid that is obtained from coal tar. This white crystalline is equally toxic.
Again this is also a form of white crystalline material and is quite volatile. This material is obtained through distilling coal tar. Naphthalene balls are used in cupboards to keep the clothes safe from insects like silverfish.
As these bulbs emit UV rays, particularly UV-B and UV-C kinds of radiations, continuous exposure to it can lead to skin cancer. So it is time to act wisely and discard these bulbs and go back to using the old bulb, the incandescent one, to keep your home and family safe. Act now.