A tampon made this model lose her leg, but not her spirit
Lauren Wasser was living “The Life” at the age of 24. Born to model parents, she was endowed with great height, blue eyes, blonde hair and even had a scholarship for college. But she chose a modelling career and everything was sailing perfectly in her favour as she had become an integral part of the glitzy LA social scene and was even living in her own apartment.
In an interview to VICE, she said that everything there was based on looks and she had that all and didn’t even think much about anything else as she already had what mattered to her.
1 Everything came crashing down
A life so perfect got ruined when on one fateful day she started feeling uneasy. Although that time, it felt more like a flu but what it came out to be was beyond her imagination.
Her uneasiness increased when she got her period. She went to the drugstore and took a pack of Korea Natural Balance tampons, a brand she was using for as long as she could remember. Later at a friend’s party she felt sick, and thus she rushed to her house thinking that maybe she was tired and needed to rest. She hit the bed upon reaching her house. She could be awakened only by the police who had come to her house with a friend after her mother had asked them to do so, because she was not able to contact with her daughter.
Lauren was rushed to the hospital and the doctors said that she was only 10 minutes away from death and had 107 degrees Celsius fever. She had suffered a massive heart attack and after an enquiry by the doctors about whether she had a tampon or not, doctors got confirmed that indeed she had a tampon and it was because of the tampon that she had to go through that. When the tampon was sent to the lab, she tested positive of having suffered from toxic shock syndrome (TSS), a condition which is occurred through a dangerous combination of bacterial infections, which is certainly not restricted to the afflictions of women.