This 3 year old boy woke up paralyzed and parents were shocked to know the reason why
As a parent you may be constantly conscious of your young Child’s health and will no doubt take several steps to ensure he remains healthy. But, imagine the shock of these parents when they found their healthy little son paralyzed one morning even as he seemed fit as a fiddle the night before.
The 3 year old little boy woke up paralyzed shocking his parents puzzled and perplexed as to what was wrong.
1 Their little boy woke up paralyzed with no sign of injury
When little Colin woke up one morning, he just could not sit up or walk. He was almost paralyzed. His parents Stephanie and Dillon just couldn’t figure out the problem. The night before, Collin had hit his head while playing at his elder brother’s baseball game but he was fine having got up immediately with no signs of injury.
2 Doctors at the local hospital were confused
Although the little boy woke up paralyzed, both Dillon and Stephanie were sure that he wasn’t suffering from concussion. They rushed Collin to emergency where doctors examined him. Tests confirmed no brain injury yet Collin was paralyzed from the neck down and his condition worsened. Doctors advised the parents to shift him to another hospital.
3 Doctors shock parents with revelation
When Dillon and Stephanie shifted Collin to a children’s hospital in a larger town, doctors shocked them into disbelief. Had they brought the child a half hour later, he would have suffered a heart attack. The bad news didn’t end there, after examining the child they found something even more shocking and the reason behind his paralysis.
A special team of neurologists from the infectious disease department of the hospital found a TICK behind Collin’s ear. Yes!! A tick and the parents were dumbfounded as to how it got there. Once the tick was removed the child’s condition improved and he was mobile again.
4 The tick toxins caused a case of ascending paralysis
According to ER physician Dr Travis Stork, tick bites are common occurrences but which can cause fatal repercussions. He mentioned that Collins condition was a rare reaction to tick saliva which also contains neurotoxins. It was a case of ascending paralysis where the neurotoxin enters the blood. Paralysis then starts with the legs and travels upward.
5 Once the tick was removed Collin soon recovered
Although this little boy woke up paralyzed, once the tick was removed, Collin soon improved and was discharged form the hospital. If you’re puzzled at how a tick appeared behind child’s ear, then it could be a result of falling on the ground and the insect clutching on to his body.
Children playing outdoors in areas frequented by dogs and animals are prone to such incidents, however ion the case of Collin it was a rare reaction to the tick which usually causes muscle stiffness, nausea, body ache and fever.