Young Parents Are Warning Of “Hair Tourniquet Syndrome” After Their Baby Had To Be Rushed To Emergency

As wonderful as it is to have a baby, it can be stressful for parents when their child can’t tell them when something is wrong. Unfortunately, there are many unexpected dangers that parents should be aware of. A Missouri mom is warning other parents on social media to be aware of a condition known as “hair tourniquet syndrome”, which sometimes affects babies. Her 5-month-old son was taken to the emergency room because of a strand of hair, and she wants to make sure other parents won’t have to face a similar situation. Logan, a 5-month-old from St. Louis, was admitted to SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital three times in the course of a week due to hair tourniquet syndrome. His mother, Sara Ward, described his condition in a Facebook post.

Advertisement

Sara and Tony Ward from Missouri had no idea what was wrong with their baby when he was continuously crying in pain

Sara and Tony Ward had no idea what was going on with their son when he displayed some frightening symptoms. But, to their credit, they’ve decided to share Logan’s hair tourniquet syndrome story to provide comfort and guidance to other parents dealing with the same situation.

Sara and Tony Ward

Img Src: godtube.com

Advertisement

Even though they noticed their son’s toe, they were still first-time parents and had no idea what to do

They could tell something wasn’t right when they saw their baby’s toe was swollen and red. However, it took them a while to notice something like a line running around his toe. This was the first time they’d ever seen or heard of anything like it, so they immediately took him to the doctor.

Even though they noticed their son’s toe, they were still first-time parents and had no idea what to do

Img Src: abcnews.com

Advertisement

Little Logan was brought to the hospital and diagnosed with Hair Tourniquet Syndrome

Dr. Sara Holmstrom, a board-certified pediatrician and a pediatric emergency medicine fellow at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago, explains that hair tourniquet syndrome occurs when a piece of hair, or a thread of another material, like a piece of cloth, is tightly wrapped around a body part. Usually, it’s a finger or a toe, but it can also be the genitals, which are parts of the body that touch.

The doctors confirmed that baby Logan had a rare condition called hair tourniquet syndrome. It occurs when a strand of hair gets wrapped around a finger or toe and becomes a life-threatening complication. While this condition itself is pretty uncommon, it usually occurs among babies under six months old, most often on their toes. They don’t need surgery most of the time, and Logan seemed like a typical patient of the syndrome at 5 months old.

Advertisement
Little Logan was brought to the hospital and diagnosed with Hair Tourniquet Syndrome

Img Src: amazonaws.com

Advertisement

You may also like...