11 Subtle Ways Your House May Be Ruining Your Health and Making You Sick

In trying to keep our home and house functional and practical for convenience, we end up purchasing and storing products that we feel is good for home and health. Instead these turn out to be just the opposite. There could be toxic chemicals and other harmful substances present in many areas of your house that is not exactly visible to your eyes. However, there are ways to prevent such substances from affecting your health and the health of your loved ones. Here are the 11 items and ways your home could be ruining your health.


1The Presence of Toxic Dust

Dust present atop your furniture or in hard-to-reach corners of your house can probably be toxic to your health. After analyzing dust samples, the researchers from George Washington University found traces of 45 potentially toxic chemicals out of which 10 were present in almost 90 samples. The most common chemical found were- TDCIPP (a flame retardant) that may cause cancer and which is commonly found in furniture; phthalates- from vinyl flooring, toys; and phenols-from cleaning products.

Image Source: www.rd.com

The best solution

The best solution is vacuuming frequently with all the proper attachments that reach into the deepest corners and under furniture and wiping down surfaces on a regular basis to remove all traces of dust.

Image Source: servicemarket.com

2Air Freshener Addiction

Plug-in fresheners, scented sprays and candles, and oil diffusers that you so often use to keep your house smelling fresh are actually ruining your health more so than you know. All these contain chemicals and phthalates that interfere with our hormones thereby disrupting the endocrine system. In fact, phthalates may act as a synthetic chemical substance within our body that ends up interfering with natural processes which make us worry about health issues. If you really want to keep your home smelling fresh use flowers and natural essential oils instead, or you can just open the windows.

Image Source: ebayimg.com

3You have a lot of plastic items in your kitchen

There are harmful chemicals such as BPA present in plastic storage containers that can leach into food when it is reheated or when the containers are filled with leftovers which are still hot. BPA is also present in polycarbonate plastic items which include drinking cups, beverage jugs, and reusable water bottles. This chemical can cause interference in the body’s hormones, and lead to the development of diabetes and cancer. Some packaging labels of such items might suggest that they are BPA free, but the fact is that manufacturers have just used another chemical with the same properties as a substitute, and which could be just as harmful as BPA. Rather than using plastic items, opt for stainless steel water bottles and glass storage containers.

Image Source: forkly.com

4Spraying your shower down with bleach

While using bleach to keep your bathroom tiles sparkling clean is well and good, using it on mold can only make things worse. Bleach removes the mold in tile grout, but owing to its caustic and permeable components, bleach in time eats away at grout, making more tiny holes where mold can grow.

Image Source: www.rd.com

To get rid of mould spores

To get rid of mold spores in your bathroom use a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water to destroy them. Also, make sure there is proper ventilation to reduce the humidity which allows for the growth of mold. After taking a bath, use a squeegee for wiping down the excess water off the shower walls. If you have larger patches of mold elsewhere, you may need to contact https://awamoldinspections.com/areas-we-service/mold-inspection-austin-tx/ for a more thorough inspection and treatment.

Image Source: www.thespruce.com

You may also like...