Top effective ways to deal with sinus congestion at home
The process of breathing might look very simple as breathing oxygen in and breathing out carbon dioxide. The nose contains very intricate and complex system of narrow passages and eight hollow spaces which contain air and connect both eyes and ears. This system lets us inhale and process air before it reaches our lungs.
But when we suffer from cold, cough or allergies, these passages and hollow spaces get congested with mucus and the condition evolves to what is known as sinus congestion. Here are some homemade remedies that uses all natural ingredients to deal with the annoying condition of nasal blockage.
1 What is sinus congestion?
Sinus congestion happens when the 4 pairs of air passages in the nose get clogged due to mucus or swell up due to allergic or non-allergic reasons.
This makes the hollow spaces in the nasal cavities and the air passages to get blocked, making it difficult for us to breathe through our nose and we have to breathe through our mouth. This lets in the air unfiltered as breathing from the nose, filters the air, removes dust particles and other things, before the air is allowed into the lungs.
Sinus congestion blocks this process and in true sense, makes our life miserable due to constant sneezing and that stuffing feeling.
2 Why does it occur?
Most of the times when sinus congestion happens, the reason is an infection coming with cold, influenza or sinusitis. Other potential causes of congestion can be things like allergies to bright lights, cluster headaches, cold, deviated septum, dry air, food allergy, milk allergy, nasal polyps and many other things.
Though there are many over the counter medicines available to treat this congestion, but addiction to them can render their effect useless in the long run and so here are some homemade remedies to treat this irritating condition using safe and readily available items.
3 Salt and water mix
The first remedy is to use a mix of 1 tbsp. of salt in a bowl of water along with ½ tbsp. of baking soda. Now gently squirt the solution in your nose and try to aim the water in the back and not towards the top of the head. This will make the water run through the nasal passage and into your mouth, which you have to spit out.
This will clean all the mucus and stuff that is clogging the nose in no time and will not harm in long run like decongestant medicines that are available in the market.
4 Hot shower and steam inhalation
Try to maintain a regular flow of mucus from the nose by taking a hot shower and mix some vaporub solution in hot water and breathe in the strong fumes that goes straight into your nose and clears it from the inside. You can also use oregano in that boiling water in order to get a more pleasant scent in the vapours that you need to breath.
5 Remedies involving vegetables
Here are some remedies that involve vegetables and ingredients from the kitchen.
- You can eat lots of spicy food like chillies that will make your eyes and nose watery, helping in removing the mucus from the nose.
- Cut an onion into pieces and sniff the cut pieces of the onion. Also eating raw onions might help in getting rid of mucus.
- Boil one cup of tomato juice with one tbsp. of chopped garlic, ½ tbsp. of hot sauce, 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and pinch of celery salt. Drink this concoction while it is hot in order to get a runny nose. You can increase the amount of hot sauce to your liking and handling capabilities.
- Keep drinking hot herbal tea at regular intervals as the herbs in the tea help in clearing the nasal passage effectively.
- Try these home remedies to heave a sigh of relief because these remedies will not have any side effects like OTC medicines.