Two most commonly overlooked symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian cancer is a cancer that forms in one or both ovaries. Among the women who get diagnosed with ovarian cancer, 75% are in an advanced stage with grim chances of surviving more than five years. The other 25% women who get diagnosed in the early stages, report 90% cure. The early symptoms of ovarian cancer are usually overlooked as they are similar to other common illnesses, which come and go from time-to-time. Most women face this at some time or the other in their lives. The symptoms are often vague and non-specific, leading to a late diagnosis, thereby proving to be fatal. Let us take a look at the two most common early symptoms of ovarian cancer that are usually overlooked.

Advertisement

1 The Early Stages

Ovarian cancer is tough to detect in the early stages. It usually starts as a painless lump on the ovary that enlarges gradually. Since, there is room for it to grow, the clear symptoms are not detected until it becomes quite large in size. Women with ovarian cancer report persistent symptoms, causing a change from normal in their bodies.

Early stages of Ovarian cancer

Image Source: www.esgo.org

Advertisement

2 The First Common Symptom: Abdominal Bloating, Pressure and Pain

Bloating in women is not uncommon these days. The causes being, lactose intolerance, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, constipation, poor nutrition and the like. Serious diseases like cancer are not given a thought in the early stages. Most women experience bloating after eating certain foods or before their periods. It is wise to consult a gynaecologist, if these symptoms appear more than 12 times during the course of one month and if the symptoms are new or unusual. If the first opinion is not diagnosed to be ovarian cancer, and the symptoms still persist, it is better to take a second opinion ensuring that the evaluation includes a pelvic examination.

Common Symptom of ovarian cancer

Image Source: www.etdna-cdn.com

3 The Second Common Symptom: Frequent Urination

This is another common symptom of ovarian cancer and is often misdiagnosed by doctors as urinary tract infection. When the symptoms do not go away after taking the treatment for UTI, it is important to consult a gynaecologist for a second opinion. Pregnancy is another reason for frequent trips to the restroom, which can also be a reason for late diagnosis. Prompt action can rule out serious diseases, thereby saving lives.

Frequent Urination

Image Source: www.womenshealthmag.com

Advertisement

4 Early diagnosis is very important

As medical research continues to investigate further, numerous studies have been published indicating that symptoms may not occur until a later stage, which may not result in an improved outcome. Being aware of the symptoms can help women get diagnosed at an early stage leading to an improved prognosis. Unfortunately, the overall five year survival rate is only 46% in most developed countries (lower for more advanced stages).

Early diagnosis

Image Source: www.healthline.com

A woman is the backbone of a family and helps keep them together. When her health is given priority, she can enjoy better well-being, leading to happiness and prosperity within the family. Ovarian cancer can be treated provided the diagnosis is made in the early stages. So, take care and stay safe.

Advertisement

You may also like...