Medications that cause Hair Loss and how to get strong healthy hair
Departmental and beauty stores are full of products that promise you instant results of long flowing hair. Aggressive marketing techniques and promotions make both men and women spend a huge amount on hair products that promote healthy hair. However there is one factor that is never taken into account and that is the reason for hair thinning.
Besides physiological factors of hormonal imbalances and medical conditions, Hair thinning is also caused by medication. Take a look at 18 medications that cause hair loss.
1 Medication that cause hair thinning
Below is a list of several common medications that can cause thin scanty hair and hair loss
- Acne medications
- Antibiotics and Antifungal medications
- Antidepressants and Antihypertensive (High blood pressure medications)
- Anticoagulants (Blood thinners) and Cholesterol-lowering medications
- Chemotherapy medications and Anticonvulsants (Epilepsy medications)
- Hormone replacement therapy – estrogen or progesterone for women, androgens and testosterone for men
- Immuno-suppressant medications and Interferons and Mood stabilizers
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAID’s)
- Oral contraceptives and Steroids and Thyroid medications
- Parkinson’s disease medications
- Natural Remedies for Hair Loss
- When you notice hair loss, it is your body’s way of warning you that there could be an underlying medical condition. There are several remedies for hair thinning.
Research studies at the Clinical Research and Development Network found that Saw Palmetto and Ginkgo Bilbo extract increased hair density by 35% in participants aged between 18 and 48. Ginkgo Bilbo is a herb that improves blood flow and increases antioxidants which strengthen the hair shaft and decrease hair thinning.
3 Stress Management
Apart from medications that cause hair loss, Chronic stress can cause several problems in the body where hair loss and hair thinning is one of them. Stress management can improve your general health as well as strengthen your hair. Yoga is a great way to distress you. Night walks, bubble baths with distressing oils are also great ways to relive stress.
4 Balance Your Hormones
Hormonal imbalances are a prime cause for many bodily changes including weight gain. Hair thinning is also a result of an hormonal imbalance and the best possible way to stop it is through a proper diet. Integrate several hormonal regulating and balancing food into your daily diet such as avocados, pomegranate, nuts, organic apples and chia seeds.
5 Essential Oils
Rosemary oil is a great hair loss treatment. It is one of the topmost essential oils that improves and increases hair growth. Spikenard oil promotes hair growth and retards graying. Use ¾ drops of rosemary oil, peppermint and sage with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Massage your hair and scalp with this lotion twice a day.
6 Natural Supplements
Natural supplements can help when your are facing a nutrient deficiency which also causes hair thinning but always consult your doctor before taking a supplement. Common beneficial supplements are Vitamins A, E, C, B-Complex as well as trace minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, selenium.
- Vitamin C – 500-1000 mg twice daily (Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant)
- L-lysine, 500-1,000 mg a day for hair loss.
- B-complex vitamins, 1 tablet daily for stress.
7 Take Cold Showers or avoid too hot water
Dr Ryan Welter, a Boston based hair transplant surgeon advocates the use of cooler showers to avoid hair thinning. He says that hot water dehydrates hair strands that results in dry brittle hair. Cooler showers preserve moisture in the hair and prevent thinning.
8 Eat helpful foods
Foods rich in vitamins, nutrients and minerals are great for strengthening your hair. Here are some essential nutrients good for healthy hair.
- Iron – Prevents hair thinning. Add lentils, kale, spinach and dark leafy greens to your daily diet.
- Vitamin C –A powerful antioxidant that increases iron absorption. Guava, grapefruit, kiwi, papaya and broccoli are rich in Vitamin C
- Vitamin A –Vitamin A helps maintain a healthy scalp. Try pumpkin, kale and sweet potato.
- Zinc – Zinc deficiency causes hair loss. Add grass-fed beef, pumpkin seeds or chickpeas to your diet.
9 Avoid Foods that hurt your system
Toxic foods that harm your body need to be avoided at all cost
- Sugar –Causes hormone imbalances and inflammation resulting in hair loss.
- Alcohol –Increases inflammation and causes liver toxicity, this cause’s hair loss.
- Caffeine – Excess caffeine causes dehydration and hormone imbalances.
Trans Fatty Acids –Increases inflammation in the body leading to hair loss. Avoid vegetable oil, corn oil and soybean oil. Not only medications that cause hair loss are responsible for unhealthy hair. A healthy lifestyle, proper diet and nutrition can reverse hair damage and give you strong bouncy hair.