The Amazing Health Benefits If Barley Juice and How It Can Prevent Kidney Stones
Kidney Stones are a major cause for concern nowadays. Doctors and scientists have concluded that there has been a ten-fold increase in the past few years, in the number of people who suffer from kidney stones. Surgery may be the only solution to remove these painful stones, but there are alternative natural remedies that are as effective as surgery. Simply drinking Barley Water for kidney stones is one such natural remedy.
1 What are Kidney Stones
Kidney Stones are formed by the crystallization of mineral deposits within the kidneys or urethras. The crystals are most of the time formed of calcium precipitations- calcium oxalate, and sometimes mixed with calcium phosphate. In case you already have some other genetic problem or are suffering from conditions like gout, then uric acid and even a certain amino acid- ‘Cystine’ gets mixed in. The stones can vary in size from being as tiny as sand particles or as big as a golf ball. They can cause either mild or severe symptoms such as inflammation, fever, digestive issues andinfection. The symptoms are acute pain in the flank, lower abs and groin, and even blood in urine.
2 What Causes Kidney Stones to be formed?
Once formed, kidney stones can get bigger and when that happens they can cause serious damage to kidney tissues and obstruct the urethra. However, kidney stones don’t just appear out of nowhere. The main causes behind kidney stone formation are:
- Excessive consumption of processed foods can cause kidney stones
- Kidney Stones formation can even be hereditary
- The risk of kidney stones is increased by consuming dairy products, refined flour, red meat, caffeine and sugar
- Using antacids for a prolonged period results in kidney stones
- Having a history of urinary tract and kidney infections further increases the risk of kidney stones
3 How Drinking Barley Water for kidney stones can prevent it
Preventing the formation of kidney stones as well as the dissolution of the already present ones can easily be done by drinking barley water. This is how you do it:
- Consuming barley water on a regular basis is the most effective way to be rid of kidney stones. This natural remedy enables the bladder to create the required pressure to eliminate the kidney stones with ease.
- The pH levels in the body is better balanced and maintained. It is made alkaline by barley water which can prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Barley water helps in keeping the kidneys nourished and healthy. This is extremely important as it averts recurring cases of kidney stones as well as several urinary tract issues.
- Consuming barley water induces the process of kidney cleansing causing toxins and various toxic substances to be flushed out of the body through the urine.
- Excessive calcium excreted out in our urine is reduced by the dietary fiber obtained in barley (rich source of dietary fiber).
- Vitamin B6 present in barley water breaks down the mass formation of calcium of oxalate within the kidneys.
- Barley is also rich in magnesium which helps in speeding up the dissolution process of calcium oxalate crystals.
- Barley is known to be a cheap cereal readily available anywhere.
4 Preparing Barley Water
To prepare the barley water recipe for treating kidney stones follow these instructions:
- Pour a liter of fresh drinking water into a cooking pot and then add 1 tablespoon of barley seeds to it and place it in/on the oven/fire.
- Let it boil at low flame for around half an hour and take it out/off the oven/flame once the mixture get reduced to half of its initial quantity.
- Set it to cool down and thereafter proceed to drink it throughout the day.
- Barley water is normally tasteless or sometimes even slightly bitter, in which case you may squeeze some lemon juice from a fresh lemon and add it to the barley water. Even adding a tablespoon of honey makes it easier to palate down.
Consuming barley water is a healthy natural remedy for kidney stones. There aren’t any major side-effects from consuming barley water for kidney stones but overconsumption of barley water can cause a stomach upset. However, it is perfectly safe to drink barley water in moderation. Start drinking barley water and see for yourself how it works against those irritating kidney stones.