Read all about Mesothelioma, the deadliest of Cancers which is caused by asbestos and can kill in 7 months
Mesothelioma!! The word itself may sound Greek to you, after all it’s a medical term for a rare but dangerous type of cancer. But what you may not know is that Mesothelioma is caused by the most common of causes. Exposure to asbestos! In the US, almost 3000 Mesothelioma cases are diagnosed each year. The majority of Mesothelioma cases are of the pleural type, affecting the Lungs. There are other varieties of Mesothelioma which affect the abdominal area and the heart too.
The biggest cause for concern is the nature of patients affected with Mesothelioma which feature mostly those in jobs, where they are exposed to asbestos. Even though Mesothelioma does not feature in high figures, there are many cases cropping up every year all because of Mesothelioma’s deadly characteristic of developing gradually over 20 to 50 years of being exposed to asbestos; when suddenly one fine morning you know you have Mesothelioma and THERE IS NO CURE! Prevention is the only answer! What you are about to read is all about Mesothelioma, one of the most dangerous of cancers known to man.
1 Mesothelioma defined
Malignant Mesothelioma is a type of Cancer that attacks the protective lining of organs in the body or the Mesothelium. It is prevalent in the lungs, abdomen and the heart. The primary cause of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure and those working in industries such as shipyards, repairs shops, warehouses and old buildings with asbestos roofing are at risk of acquiring the disease over time. This is why it’s so important to get this sort of thing checked out, you can easily use a company like this Portland asbestos testing one to help you out, and it is very worthwhile that you do so!
Research has shown that wide exposure or one time exposure of long periods are also enough to contract the disease. Just by knowing that any type of asbestos exposure could lead to serious health problems like cancer and lung disease is a scary thought and one that not many people are willing to face. That’s why it could be important and beneficial to your health if you do some research into ‘can one time exposure to asbestos cause cancer‘ so you have all of the information that you need to keep you as healthy as possible. Asbestos itself is known to cause several health problems especially when asbestos materials are disturbed to release fibers which are inhaled from the air surrounding then. These minuscule fibers get lodged within the lining of the lungs and because they are microscopic in nature your body finds it difficult to eliminate them. The fibers lodged in the mesothelial tissue then cause inflammation by triggering genetic changes in the mesothelial cells which then form tumors or cancer. This is known as Mesothelioma. The biggest obstacle in treating Mesothelioma is the large latency period between exposure, development and final diagnosis.
2 Can Mesothelioma Be Benign In Nature?
Yes!!! If you’re lucky!! Because owing to the large latency period resulting in late diagnosis, benign Mesothelioma conditions are very rare and are detected not by intention but by chance or accident in which case, it is a big stroke of luck. Benign Mesothelioma can discover during history and pathology tests such as CT scans required for various different conditions.
However this is the pitfall of the deadly Mesothelioma. Although benign tumors can be operated and surgically removed, there are possible chances of it returning and becoming malignant.
3 Types of Benign Mesothelioma
Benign Mesothelioma tumors are found in men and women but are considered harmless as they can be removed by surgery.
- Benign Cystic Mesothelioma : found in abdominal lining, attacks mainly women but is very rare
- Papillary Mesothelioma: found in peritoneum (abdominal Lining) and lungs. Can become malignant
- Benign Adenomatoid Tumors: found in lungs and fallopian tubes of women. Can be surgically removed with chances of recovery.
- Localized Fibrous Pleural Tumor: found in pleural cavity of lungs. Not always cancerous and features a long term survival rate.
- Various Types Of Mesothelioma: Sarcomatoid Mesothelioma Kills You In 7 Months!
- Pleural Mesothelioma: affects the lining of the lungs.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma: affecting the peritoneum or abdominal lining.
- Pericardial Mesothelioma: affects the membrane lining the heart.
While the above three types of Mesothelioma are mainly of the epithelial variety and are most common in patients with Mesothelioma, the factor of late diagnosis remains unchanged. The most common factor of late diagnosis is due to the disease, causing symptoms related to common diseases like cough or cold. However, while you can live a longer period when affected by the epithelial variety, the most dangerous condition of the disease is Sarcomatoid Mesothelioma, which affects 15% of patients diagnosed with Mesothelioma.
Sarcomatoid Mesothelioma has random irregular cells which pose a challenge for diagnosis as it is extremely hard to differentiate between healthy and cancerous tissue. An accurate diagnosis is integral for treatment of the disease which involves a combination of radiation, chemo and surgery, which in most cases faces a stubborn resistance from the disease. The most cruelest aspect of Sarcomatoid Mesothelioma is the survival rate of JUST 7 MONTHS between diagnosis and death even as the cost of treatment is very expensive and can place an enormous financial burden on a patient.
4 Diagnosis, cure and Prevention
There is no cure for Mesothelioma except a prolonged sustenance of life by prescribed methods of treatment. In conditions concerning the epithelial variety of the disease, patients have known to have lived a long life even while being affected with the disease. However, Mesothelioma is so deadly that a cure eludes medical science and diagnosis too is always in the last stage.
In US laws enacted by OSHA or the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration, workers are protected from asbestos exposure by stringent regulations that allow only a maximum permissible limit of 01.fibers per cc (cubic centimeter) for a shift up to 8 hours. Unfortunately, in some cases, people have died from Mesothelioma. There have been people who have used a mesothelioma lawsuit after death of a colleague or loved one. Ensure that you are familiar with the symptoms and contact a health department immediately if you are aware that you have been in contact with asbestos or other triggers.
5 Guidelines on preventing Mesothelioma
Once you’ve read all about Mesothelioma, there is much you can do to prevent being at risk from this dreaded disease especially if you work in a production zone or a factory. Moreover when affected by Mesothelioma, one can also consult and explore legal options for due compensation in the absence of proper guidelines governing asbestos safety and precautions.
- Do not smoke in areas prone to asbestos exposure: smokers have a 9000% chance of contracting the disease.
- Frequent health checkups if working in an industrial area with asbestos exposure.
- Ensuring that every industry follows guidelines with inspection and monitoring of asbestos materials by authorities.
- Asbestos abatement testing should be regularly maintained by professionals.
- Insist on wearing protective gear and safety equipment while being exposed to asbestos materials at work. Did you know that asbestos was commonly used in the welding profession for its strength and heat resistance? Nowadays, welders and other construction industry workers must wear welding safety boots, masks, helmets, and other safety equipment to protect their health.
- If you suffer from prolonged cough, cold or shortness of breath, frequent stomach ailments and poor digestion, get yourself checked immediately for underlying causes.