A Head injury can be serious, don’t ever ignore it!
There are many people in this world who tend to neglect head injuries as they assume it is not serious. This could be a grave mistake you are making. There are instances when head injuries have resulted in lasting and serious health issues. Serious head injuries can even result in expensive lawsuits being filed, which may even cause people to get their own lawsuit funding to get them out of times of financial stress. Even when you see no symptom of a serious problem because of injury in the head, it is still better to get a scan done. Here are some of the common problems that may arise due to a head injury. Timely action can be of greater help in most cases and the sooner you identify any problems, the easier your brain injury lawsuit will be!
1 Concussion Due to Head Injury
Head injury may lead to concussion. The gravity and seriousness of the concussion may vary from person to person and situation to situation. You need to evaluate your symptoms to determine the seriousness of the concussion. Here we have listed down a few symptoms that are commonly linked with concussion:
- Difficulty concentrating on anything
- Headache and dizziness
- Greater loss of memory post accident or head injury
- Over stimulation due to noises or lights
2 Symptoms of severe concussion
The above mentioned symptoms are common in case of mild concussions. In such cases, the doctor may like to conduct a neurological test to check you mental strength and reflexes. He may also want to make sure that there is no further damage in the brain.
In rare cases, the concussion may even be severe, even while not detected on scans and X-rays. Here we have listed a few of the common symptoms of serious concussions:
- Severe headache is one of the symptoms
- The person may have difficulty speaking clearly
- Vomiting and nausea are other symptoms that are common in severe concussions.
- Numbness may be felt in the limbs
- You may also get unconscious for some time
- Some of these symptoms may seem to worsen with time
In such situations, you need to make sure that you rush to the hospital for help. A CT Scan may be conducted on you to find out if there is any internal head injury.
3 Seizure Due to Head Injury
A head injury may also result in seizures in some individuals. There are several cases of seizures that result simply due to a traumatic head injury. One in ten people who have traumatic brain injury may develop seizures. The brain injury may result in a scar in the brain that eventually leads to seizures. Sudden unbalanced electrical activity occurs during a seizure. If this situation happens at work, be sure to contact a personal injury law firm as soon as possible. Here are some of the common symptoms that help you detect a seizure:
- Sudden spell of dizziness or tiredness
- Inability to speak or comprehend what others are speaking
- Strange shaking, stiffening and movements of arms and limbs
- Fumbling movements, chewing or lip smacking
- Staring and unresponsiveness
Some cases of seizures can be controlled by medicines while there are other instances where medicines have no impact on these seizure attacks. In rare cases, surgeries may help to cure seizure.
4 Memory Loss
Slight memory loss just after a brain injury or accident may not be a matter to worry. You need to evaluate and see whether the brain injury remains for prolonged duration. Even after a month or two after the accident, if you are facing memory issues, you may have to consult a doctor. The brain injury may have resulted in some serious memory issue.
5 Steps To Take If You Suffer a Head Injury
The above facts clearly reveal that you cannot afford to take a head injury lightly. Here are some steps you can take to ensure that you stay healthy after a head injury:
Make a note of the changes that occur in your level of understanding, reflexes, cognitive skills and other brain functions.
- Tell your doctor if you observe symptoms like nausea, vomiting, dizziness and unconscious spells.
- Take a CT scan to find out if there are any internal brain injuries.
- Take care and rest for a few weeks after the accident so that your brain may recover.