13 Foods That You Should Never Reheat In a Microwave
Most of us who have a microwave at home will know how you aren’t supposed to use plastic or aluminum foil in it because it could melt, catch fire or even become toxic. However, we usually take a microwave for granted and heat almost everything else without caring about the health ramifications or the risks involved when doing so. Most people own a microwave but identifyr has a decent list of microwaves if you are new to the scene. The microwave was introduced some 30 years ago for quick reheating of certain foods yet now the younger generation and many of the old too, can’t do without it using it from making oatmeal to popcorn. A microwave never cooks food evenly which means reheated bacteria survive in foods where they are present. Here are 13 foods you should never cook or reheat in a microwave.
Be they shelled or unshelled, a hardboiled egg can become a steam bomb if you cook it in the microwave. The moisture inside the egg leads to excessive steam buildup where the egg could be at risk of exploding. In fact, the egg may not explode inside the microwave while being heated but in your hand, your plate or your mouth instead. Cut the egg in pieces before reheating or rater don’t use the microwave for eggs altogether.
There are many moms who freeze breast milk and then reheat it in a microwave. This is wrong as the microwave will reheat the milk unevenly creating hot spots that can burn a baby’s mouth. Moreover, there is a risk of carcinogens when heating plastic. The FDA recommends that reheating breast milk and formula should be done on a pot or a stove using tap water. What you could do is to heat a cup of water in the micro and then insert the milk bag or bottle to thaw.
There are many chemicals and preservatives in processed meat that makes these substances dangerous when microwaved. Studies have found that exposing such foods to microwave radiation can lead to the formation of cholesterol oxidation products that have been linked to heart diseases.
According to the FSA (Food Standards Agency), microwaving rice can result in food poisoning. Rice contains a common bacteria called Bacillus cereus. While heat kills it, the bacteria can produce toxic spores which become heat resistant. Once rice is taken out of the microwave and kept at room temperature, the spores can multiply which can give you food poisoning. Rice should be heated and cooked to boiling point as well as kept warm (above 140 F degrees) to avoid such issues.