Top 13 Weird Facts about Cats
Cat owners know perfectly well that cats will simply always go their way to get what they want. They won’t obey their owners’ commands nor will do anything that will disturb them. The great thing about these pets is the fact that they practically take care of themselves, and the owner just needs to make sure they are healthy and well fed. But, did you know the following Weird facts about cats who are your furry friends?
1Cats can drink sea water to re-hydrate themselves
Although they don’t often end up in situation where they will have to drink sea water, but if they ever happen to end up in a place where drinkable water is available, the salty water will still do, because their kidneys are efficient enough to re-hydrate by consuming salt water.
Image Source: http://www.zivotinje.rs
2Cats can smell with their paws
Their little sweet paws, besides help them run and walk also contains scent glands, and the scent which mixed with the sweat from their paws, helps them mark their territory in or outside their living space.
Image Source: http://api.ning.com
3Domesticated cats refuse to drink from their water bowl, because they think it might be contaminated
Call them crazy, but cats will be super cautious when comes to what they eat or drink. This habit originates from their wild ancestors who refused to drink the water where their kill is, because it was contaminated. So next time, try and put their bowl with water a bit further from their food bowl. Crazy, but it works.
Image Source: http://www.catster.com
4 Cats will spend about 70% of their lives sleeping
Well, it is their favorite activity, after running and playing with their favorite toys. A normal cat sleeps around 15-18 hours during the day, so don’t worry, they just rest and gather energy for more food.
Image Source: http://blog.a-pets-life.com
5Disneyland releases about 200 cats overnight to keep their gardens free of rodents
This seems unbelievable, but hey cats love to haunt and there is nothing more fun than actually get your own meal with your paws. Disneyland keeps the cats in special apartments during the day and spays them.
Image Source: http://api.ning.com
6Older cats can develop kitty Alzheimer’s
The older cats meow a lot and wonder around. Scientists discovered that cats can develop dementia and Alzheimer just like older humans. So basically, when an old cat meows, she acts like an old lady or an old man who simply starts to forget things and asks questions in order to remember.
Image Source: http://revolutionarybeauty.files.wordpress.com
7Cat’s whiskers are helping them realize where they can fit in certain places
If you didn’t know this by far, this is a very important info about those people who tried or want to cut their whiskers. They help the cat keep its balance and know where it can fit or go though narrow spots.
Image Source: http://www.todayifoundout.com
8Cats can’t detect sweetness
It is well known fact that you should not feed your pets with sweets because it affects bad on their sights, but if you have tried so far, your cat didn’t rejected that cookie, simply because it can’t detect the sweet taste.
Image Source: http://img.webmd.com
9Cats can run 30 miles per hour
Their legs, which are their strongest feature, will help them run if necessary for 48 kilometers per hour, which sound as amazing as it really is.
Image Source: http://www.zastavki.com
10Cats can make around 100 different sounds
The famous meow they make, is a sound they use to communicate with humans only.
Image Source: http://www.animogen.com
Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are more often left pawed. On the other hand 90% of humans are right handed; the remaining 10% of lefties also tend to be male.
Image Source: http://wallpoper.com
12Similar to a human brain
Cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.
Image Source: http://www.sunnyskyz.com
13 Against people
A cat rubs against people not only to be affectionate but also to mark out its territory with scent glands around its face. The tail area and paws also carry the cat’s scent. So just when you think your cat is finally becoming cuddly and friendly, you’re wrong. She’s marking you – that’s my human.
Image Source: http://www.thepetproductguru.com