Everyday things that can seriously harm your dog

Taking care of a dog is a big responsibility; after all it is like constantly having a toddler around, that wouldn’t hesitate to put things in their mouth. Also, dog owners must know what food is safe for their canine friends and what sort of medicine they must never give to their dogs, no matter what. Here’s the list of dangerous everyday things that can hurt your dog.


1 Human food

There is nothing harder than resisting sad puppy eyes while they stare at you when you are munching a chocolate bar or your French toast. Chocolate contains large amounts of caffeine and theobromine which dogs do not tolerate well. It can cause gastrointestinal upset, irregular heartbeats, abnormal blood pressure, tremors, seizures and even death in extreme cases. The darker the chocolate the more toxic it is for your dog. Chocolate is a common toxicoses but there are other foods such as grapes and raisins that can cause acute kidney failure; macadamia nuts can cause GI upset, tremors and weakness. Avocado contains persin which causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Sugarless gums contain xylitol which can cause dangerously low blood sugar levels. Signs of low blood sugar are weakness, loss of coordination, tremors and occasional seizures. Several days after ingesting xylitol, dogs can develop elevated liver enzymes and sometimes liver failure. Dogs that indulge in people food tend to experience gastrointestinal upset or in severe cases can develop inflammation of the pancreas which usually requires hospitalization. So, no matter how hard it is for you not to share your food with your dog, think clearly and don’t do that. If you must, keep your dog in another room while you are having your meal. However, you can treat them to canine-friendly treats when you’re eating so that they don’t feel left out and those puppy eyes don’t tempt you. You can buy suitable treats, chews and products from Veterinary Naturals, pet shops, and even some dog groomers.

Human food

Image Source: www.webmd.com


2 Insecticides

The most common insecticide that dogs tend to eat is the ant or cockroach baits. They contain an attractant such as peanut butter or bread which most dogs find appealing. Most of the insecticides used in the baits today are typically non-toxic for mammals or the dose contained in the baits is so low that serious toxicosis is unlikely. The container of the bait can end up as a gastric foreign body. Other insecticides to be aware of are, metaldehyde based snail and slug baits and methomyl based fly bait. If you must use insecticides, keep your dog away from the area where it was used.


Image Source: www.sevacall.com


3 Human medicines

Whether they are prescribed medicines or over-the-counter drugs meant for humans, do not, in any circumstance, give human medicine to your dog. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are toxic and should never used for dogs. Never give your dog over-the
-counter medication without first discussing it with your vet. Keep your prescription pills out of reach. The bottles usually are child proof but they aren’t dog proof. Also don’t leave pills lying around on nightstands or on top of counters, where your dog could easily eat them.

Human medicine

Image Source: www.aspcapetinsurance.com


4 Cleaning products

Many of the cleaning products are toxic for both humans and dogs. Don’t leave your cleaning products anywhere where your dog can knock them over and spill them. Also consider using natural, organic cleaning solutions. If your dog has ingested a bleach-containing product or a drain cleaner, do NOT induce vomiting. Immediately contact poison control with the product name and the approximate amount ingested and seek emergency veterinary care.

Cleaning products

Image Source: www.vetconm.com


5 Plants

Plants are bigger problem with cats but puppies too chew on plants and sometimes adult dogs will chew on plants when their stomach is bothering them. This is completely natural, but there are plants such as Narcissus and hyacinth bulbs, oleander, rhododendrons, cyclamen, amaryllis, yew and chrysanthemum that can be poisonous for your dog. If you have a garden, make sure you know the species and if they are dangerous, find out which are toxic and which are safe and try to only plant non-toxic varieties of plants. If you’re not sure whether your plants are safe, keep your dog out of the garden and watch him around houseplants. Keep this in mind even if you are taking your dog in the park.


Image Source: www.dogster.com


You may also like...