Animals with chemical weapons. Meet the most toxic animals still existing on earth


Apart from such popular venomous creatures like the King Cobra or the puffer fish, the earth is also home to some uncommon but equally deadly species that you may have never known about. Their poison could well be compared to the most dangerous Chemical weapons with which they have been naturally endowed, thanks, to the amazing factor called evolution.

Here are five lesser known toxic animals still existing on earth.

1 The Blue capped Ifrit

Have you ever come across a poisonous bird?? It’s most unlikely and yes the blue capped Ifrit is toxic. Scientifically named the Ifrita Kowaldi, it belongs to three species of birds found in New Guinea. All of them possess toxic chemical weapons. The blue capped ifrit acquires its poison from choresine beetles which form its daily food.

The frit ingests a neurotic alkaloid called homobatrachtoxin from the choresine beetle and incorporates the toxin into its wings and feathers. Batrachtoxins can lead to instant paralysis and heart attack. And we thought only man could optimize chemical weapons!!

The Blue capped Ifrit

Image Source:

2 The Duck Billed Platypus

Ornithorhynchus anatinus as its genus is called, the platypus isn’t as cute and harmless as you thought. Found in Eastern Australia, the platypus is a mammal which lays eggs. It sleeps for 14 hours and behaves more like a reptile.

When the mating season is on, the male of the species produces its own poison that consists of a variety of toxic peptides having the ability to paralyze its prey. Platypus venom isn’t deadly enough to kill you, but if struck by a platypus, be prepared for the height of unbelievable intense agony that may last not days but months.

What’s worse about Platypus venom is that the pain does not respond well to painkillers as potent as morphine even.

The Duck Billed Platypus

Image Source:

3 The Blue Ringed Octopus

The toxic blue ringed octopus is found in the Indian and Pacific Ocean. If you never gave an Octopus much thought, then consider this, the blue Doc Ock here is the most poisonous marine creature and among the lesser known toxic animals existing on earth.

Its blue color is a ploy to fool predators and enemies. This little guy is just 20 cm in length but has a deadly chemical weapon. Its venom can kill 20 people. The blue ringed octopus can inject with just one dose, a variety of different toxins such as tetrodotoxin, histamine, acetylcholine, tryptamine, dopamine and turbine. Tetrodoxin is the most potent among its toxins, which causes paralysis but with a dramatic irony of sorts. While you are being paralyzed, you are fully aware of what’s happening to you and your surroundings. If you can manage to breathe and survive the 24 hour death period, then only can you hope to be safe or else!!!! Death.

The Blue Ringed Octopus

Image Source:

4 The Cone Snail

The sea cone snail is deadly enough to deliver a poison so venomous that it can give you time enough to smoke just one cigarette before you die. That is why they are also referred to as cigarette snails.

Cone snails have a radula tooth, powerful enough to penetrate a diver’s suit. Although the smaller snails are not fatal, a large cone snail can cause paralysis and death. Each dose of its venom contains thousands of fatal toxins called conotoxins which cause paralysis and death.

What’s more amazing about the cone snail poison is that it has been used in formulating a pain killer 1000 times the power of morphine. Zicontide was actually derived from cone snail venom.

The Cone Snail

Image Source:

5 The Komodo Dragon

Varanus Komodoensis or the Komodo dragons are found only in five islands of Indonesia among which Komodo is one of them, hence the name. The Komodo is one of the few exotic and toxic animals still existing on earth.

It was observed that the prey of Komodo dragons became extremely silent after being bitten, possibly from septic poisoning. A large Komodo dragon has the potential to kill a 40 kg deer or a similar animal. Research conducted on a dead Komodo in captivity revealed two glands located in its lower jaw. Both these glands contained venomous protein toxins. The unique feature of a komodo dragon’s poison is that it infects the wound with enough bacteria to cause sepsis leading to blood clots, extreme pain and swelling leading to possible death if untreated. Analysis of the toxins revealed a variety of toxic substances found in snake venom and the poison of equally dangerous animals

The Komodo Dragon

Image Source:


You may also like...