10 Types of Houseplants That Can be Dangerous For Your Health
Many people like keeping indoor plants, especially if they are living in small apartments. People who love decorating their homes will often choose some indoor plants to brighten up their rooms. While indoor plants might seem pretty harmless, unfortunately that’s not the case with all of them. There are certain house plants that are bad for health and these could even slowly poison your health.
When choosing house plants, people need to be careful of what they choose so that they don’t put their health at risk. Here is a list of 10 types of house plants that you should avoid keeping in your home.
Tagetes, commonly called Marigolds are indeed very pretty, but they have a reputation of being one of the house plants that are bad for health. The sap from this flowering plant can cause skin rashes and irritation. If ingested, it can result in gastrointestinal discomfort.
Digitalis purpurea also called foxglove is a beautiful purple flower which is used as a houseplant as well as in ornamental gardens. However, most people don’t know that its leaves, flowers, and seeds carry a toxic substance called digoxin. If ingested by humans and animals, it can be fatal. Having this plant in your house can pose a potential threat to your health and to the health of your pets as well.
Dieffenbachia is one of the many house plants that are bad for health. Even though you might be tempted by the beautifully colored leaves of this plant, you should avoid getting it for your home. This plant is responsible for intoxication and accidental exposure to this plant can cause a burning sensation on the mouth and throat, swelling, pain, nausea and vomiting, blisters on the mouth, diarrhea.
The common name for the Zamioculcas zamiifolia is the “ZZ plant” and this plant just happens to be an awesome decorative piece when placed in your house. However, this plant has a dangerous potential to cause skin irritation, pain, and swelling if ingested. When you come into contact with the ZZ plant make sure you rinse the exposed area with running water. If necessary, you may even contact a medical professional.
A substance called calcium oxalate present in the heartleaf philodendron plant is capable of causing pain and difficulties with swallowing. While this plant has a wonderful name and it sure does look amazing, they are still houseplants that are bad for health. If you have pets and do have one of these plants at home, then make sure your pet doesn’t get anywhere near it.